Wednesday, December 22, 2010

More on Tron Legacy

Yup... Talking more about Tron, this time about the music. I decided to get the music and start listening to it. Some of it I liked, other parts, not so much.

So I did a little reading up and see a few reviews where people were condemning Daft Punk for not doing well with the music.

Well, to be honest, the Music alone is not going to stand out... Especially after I started looking at some of Daft Punk's other stuff, like "All around the world" or "Technologic". And to be honest, the music for Tron Legacy isn't like the norm for Daft Punk's earlier style.

The problem is, style changes over time. But also the fact that the music fits more for the movie, not just the over all Daft Punk's usual ways.

When I listen to some of the songs that one reviewer states where they did a good job in mixing Synth with Strings. To be honest, I also try to picture the scene or the mood that the music goes with it.

I want to point to another person, Frank Klepacki... Not many people know of his name at all, but those who have played the Command and Conquer series or even Westwood's Blade Runner game... He is the one who composed the majority of the music.

One I enjoyed the most from Frank is him doing 'Hellmarch' Which has been redone again by him and then someone retouched it slight for their 3rd Red Alert game. The point here, however, is the music and the mood. The reviewers tried to fit the music to the Artists. And to be honest, the artists made the music to fit the scene, just as the other composers they speak of, like John Williams. Some of these scores are composed to fit the mood of the scene.

While I admit I would have loved to hear a longer version of Derezzed to get psyched in the mood, same with End of Line, I started checking out some of the remixes and note, remixes also are fueled by people inspired by the music composed.

Sometimes, you just can't be 'purist' to things.

No comments:

Post a Comment